I am a divorced mother with 3 daughters. I am having major relationship problems with my eldest who is 16. Her father and I have a very strained relationship and when occasions arise for her to spend other time (than the normal visits) or when arrangements change, he refuses to discuss them with me and will pass messages and problems through my daughter - she then has to discuss them with me and make the appropriate arrangements. I feel that this is putting enormous strain on my relationship with my daughter, as it puts extra pressures and responsibility on her shoulders. I have tried to explain to her that she shouldn't be in this position - she is still a young person that needs guidance and shouldn't be trying to deal with all these problems and decisions. Am I being unreasonable? I feel like I am at my wits end. There are continual arguments at home and she is always defending her fathers actions with me being portrayed as the 'baddie'. Please help. I really want a good healthy relationship with my daughter.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.