3 Questions to Consider on this Earth Day
A little less than a year ago I wrote the post Eco-Altruism and Your Mental Health. Well, today is the 40th anniversary of Earth Day (and if you're not reading this today, this post still applies). Many of us may have created small habits over the years in respect to being kinder to the earth, such as recycling or making sure we throw our trash in a trash can instead of the street. However, most of us still don't really take time-out of our daily busy-ness to really reflect on this earth and what it means to us. This not only creates more awareness about the earth, but could also have a positive impact on your mental health. I'm laying out that opportunity right now.
This reflection goes beyond country politics and beyond cultural differences and points to something we all have in common, this planet that sustains life.
Here are 3 questions to consider throughout the day:
- Question: One day this planet will no longer be in the form it is today, the law of change promises us that. So while it's here and while we're here, what is it about the earth that you appreciate?
- Question: What are you currently doing to be kinder to this planet?
- Question: Is there something you can do in this next year that steps up your appreciation for this planet? This might be working with plants more, recycling if you don't, investing in a compost bin if your city doesn't do that, investigating the conditions of the meat you buy, or just considering your gratitude for the planet you live on.
Holidays are meant to re-mind us of things that are important in some way. Today is a holiday about the earth so allow yourself to ponder these questions throughout the day. Discuss them with friends and coworkers and see what new ideas come up.
As always, please share your thoughts and even answers if you're so brave below. Your additions here are a living wisdom that we can all benefit from.
out of respect - ali - Apr 25th 2010
1. its ability to replenish when we fall short..thus giving us more time to catch up [but..things are changing rapidly!!! lets catch up in a big way!]
2. i buy second hand clothes or hand me downs..in general i dont spend much on clothes..i wear what i have..which includes 1 pair of sandals
3. buy a bicycle [second hand]..cut my driving time in at least half.. i need to re-think how i use my car from now on..
Earth day - Marc - Apr 22nd 2010
1. I appreciate the earth's generosity. How she gives w/out taking. Ex. Water.
2. driving less, walking more, using public transportation
3. Plant a tree. I have never planted a tree before, I'd like to accomplish this before the next earth day.