Make Sure You're On the List
"Where are you on your to-do list?" When I ask this question to people, the response I get is usually one of confusion. It is so foreign for many of us to grasp the idea that in order to be effective in our day to day, it's imperative that we take care of ourselves.
So what can we do?
Here are a few things to do today:
- Top of the list - Write out your to do list, or if it already written out, put yourself on the top of the list. Write the word ME in capital letters.
- Pleasure - Find something pleasurable to do and put it next to ‘ME'. it could be something as simple as taking a gentle walk, to getting a manicure/pedicure, to just singing around the house.
- Lovingkindness - Take a few moments to do the following 3 things.
- Think of kind wishes for yourself and spend a few moments saying them. For example, a common lovingkindness practice instructs us to say things like: "May I be healthy, May I be happy, May I be safe, May I be free from fear."
- Well wishes for a loved one - Sometimes when we're not feeling well, we become overly absorbed in our own heads and it's good to step out. So we can take these same well wishes and wish them to friends.
- Well wishes to your community and/or the world - We can even expand these same wishes to our family, or larger community, or the world. Take a moment to try this out and see how you feel after. In an earlier blog I wrote out more extensive instructions in doing this practice.
The point in all of this is for us to really look at if we are putting ourselves as priorities on our lists day to day. Just making a shift in taking care of ourselves or even intentionally wishing ourselves well could make a big difference in our day to day life.
Don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself.
As always, please share your thoughts, stories and questions below. Your interactions here provide a living wisdom for us all to benefit from.