Take a Dip in Pleasure
No, I’m not talking about jumping into Hedonism. The fact is many of us get so caught up in the routine of work and responsibility that we forget that engaging in pleasure is an essential component of happiness. If there’s a sense of unhappiness, we can just look to our calendar’s and likely see the lack of pleasurable activities there. In fact, most people get confused with the notion that they should put themselves somewhere on that to-do list. What would it be like to make pleasure an integral part of your day? What would be different?
Here’s a list to get you started.
1. Soak in a bathtub
2. Collect things (Coins, Shells, etc…)
3. Make space – recycle old items
4. Go to a movie
5. Take a stroll outside
6. Lay back and listen to music
7. Lay down and stare at the clouds
8. Look through old photo albums
9. Watch a video of laughing yoga
10. Read a magazine
11. Spend an evening with old friends
12. Make a point to meet new people
13. Mindfully eat a dessert
14. Make space for a Mindful Check-In
15. Wear sexy clothes
16. Have a quiet evening
17. Go fly a kite
18. Take care of some plants
19. Sing or dance around the house
20. Think of who to give money or time to.
21. Take a nap
These are just a few to get you started. Go ahead and think of at least a few more that pertain to you.
Look at your calendar and find where you can create space for these. Are there things you’re doing that are depleting or just neutral? Can these replace those activities?
Try integrating pleasurable activities into your week for just a single week. See what happens.
As always, please share your thoughts, stories and questions below. Your interaction creates a living wisdom for us all to benefit from.